Shepparton High School began in 1909 as Shepparton Agricultural High School, being one of the 10 Agricultural High Schools established in Victoria between 1907 and 1912. It was the first high school to be built in Shepparton.
The Agricultural courses as such did not long survive, being replaced by Agricultural Science as a single subject based on University prescriptions and without a large practical component. Although the farm lingered for some years eventually the word ‘Agricultural’ was to be dropped from the school's name. Despite its agricultural origins, emphasis has always been towards academic studies.
The school has grown from 33 students in 1909 to a high of 1,926 students in 1974. Currently there is an enrolment of approximately 500. Over this time the school has added a three storey building, Music Centre, Senior Study Centre, Personal learning Centre and a Science Centre.